Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch coins
- 2 quarts water
- 1 pound okra, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika (sweet for mild, smoked for spicy)
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a dutch oven, or heavy-bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the hot oil and sear on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. The chicken will not be fully cooked, but will continue to cook with the soup. Remove to a plate or large bowl. Add the sausage to the hot dutch oven and sear 1 minute on each side. Remove to the plate or bowl along with the chicken.
- Place the chopped okra in the dutch oven, cover with 1 cup of water, and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, lower to a simmer, and cook the okra until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Scrape the okra and all the liquid into the bowl with the chicken and sausage.
- Return the dutch oven to the low heat, and add the butter and flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently with a whisk, until a dark roux forms, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic to the roux. Stir to mix well, and saute on low heat until the vegetables are fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Add in the tomatoes, and sprinkle in the bay leaf, thyme, and paprika.
- Add the chicken, sausage, and okra back into the dutch oven along with the remaining water. Place the lid on the pot ajar, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the soup thickens, about 30 minutes. Taste the gumbo and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve with rice, cilantro, parsley, and hot sauce.
Sign up to get the latest theme menus, cocktails, and recipes.