Condensed Milk Cake is not too sweet and can be perfectly paired with powdered sugar, whipped cream, fresh fruit, or coffee. Or all of the above!
This recipe is part of our Family Dinner Book Club menu for Freedom Soup.
Pin this recipe!
Sweetened condensed milk has a very long shelf life, and I had a can in my pantry for a very long time. I wanted to use it up, and thought putting it into a cake was the most obvious solution.
Tips for making Condensed Milk Cake
-Cake ingredients come together better when they are all the same temperature. Leave the butter and eggs out at room temperature for about an hour before beginning to mix this cake batter.
-This cake can be made up to 5 days ahead of time. Cool completely, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in the fridge. Bring to room temperature before serving.
-The sweetened condensed milk replaces sugar in this recipe, so it comes out not too sweet. A dusting of powdered sugar is lovely on top. Fresh whipped cream and fresh fruit are also lovely pairings for this cake.
Tools to make Condensed Milk Cake
Measuring cups and spoons
Spatula or spoonula
If you make this recipe, tag @chefsarahe on social media. Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get even more dessert recipes!
Pin this recipe!
Condensed milk cake is not too sweet, and is perfect paired with fresh fruit and coffee.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer, cream together the butter and condensed milk until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well to fully incorporate. Add the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and continue to beat until smooth.
- Use a spatula to pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with dry crumbs, about 45-50 minutes.
- Leave the cake in the pan to cool completely. When ready to serve, carefully remove the cake from the pan and place on a serving platter or cake stand. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with fresh berries.