Meatless tacos made with portobello mushrooms make the best hearty vegetarian tacos for Meatless Monday… and then again for Taco Tuesday!
This recipe is part of our Family Dinner Book Club menu for James and the Giant Peach.
Okay, how delicious are smoky tacos wrapped in fire roasted corn tortillas and topped with all manner of crunchy, spicy, cheesy additions?! SO Delicious! Right?! Well, now you can move Taco Tuesday up to Meatless Monday with these quick, filling, and quite healthy Vegetarian Portobello Tacos.
The smokiness comes from chili powder and smoked paprika. Portobello mushrooms are large, hearty, and full of flavor. They’re perfect for vegetarian meals and can be prepared in so many ways.
Here we’re chopping and sautéing along with some onions and red bell peppers. Then lay it all out on the table with every topping imaginable and go to town! What are your favorite taco toppings?? Here are some of mine:
Vegetarian Portobello Tacos
serve with corn tortillas, crumbled queso fresco, shredded cabbage, lime wedges, peach salsa, chopped cilantro, and hot sauce.
Smoky, hearty, and super flavorful tacos made your way!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 6 portobello mushrooms, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon spoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- juice from 1 lime
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté, stirring frequently until soft and starting to caramelize, about 7 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms and bell peppers, and continue to sauté, stirring frequently, until all the vegetables are soft, about 3 minutes. If your mushrooms have produced a lot of liquid, drain that out now so your skillet and vegetable mixture is fairly dry.
3. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and salt. Sauté until the garlic is cooked and the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Remove from the heat, squeeze lime juice over the mixture and toss to combine. Serve with all your favorite taco toppings.
Sign up to get the latest theme menus, cocktails, and recipes.