Beef Muchomo is a classic Uganda street food. Make this specialty at home for any backyard get together.
Beef Muchomo takes the simplest cut of beef and transforms it into something succulent, tender, and full of flavor. It is quickly seared on the grill and then finished low and slow in the oven.
It has a crisp crust that is full of texture and flavor, and the inside is perfectly tender and tastes amazing alongside the skewered onions. Pick up some Peri Peri sauce to dip into and don’t forget the roasted potatoes!
Uganda street food that you can make at home.
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (safflower, peanut, etc)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds cubed stew beef
- 1 onion, quartered and sectioned
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, and spices.
- Add the beef and onions, stir to combine, cover, and refrigerate at least 8 hours, up to overnight.
- Preheat the grill to high heat, and the oven to 200F.
- Remove the beef and onions from the marinade, thread alternately on metal skewers, and grill until a crust forms, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the skewers to a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven until cooked though and tender, about 45 minutes.
- Serve with Peri Peri Sauce for dipping.
Sign up to get the latest theme menus, cocktails, and recipes.