Chocolate Chai Sandwich Cookies are a spiced treat that is a perfect pair for your morning coffee!
I love chai spices the way most of the basic world loves pumpkin spice! I will put it in everything. I have a note on my phone with a major list of all the different chai spiced things I could make. Almonds, latte banana smoothie, hot cocoa, and these cookies!
Sugar cookies, but with cocoa powder to replace some of the flour, a generous 2 teaspoons of chai spice, and then let’s go ahead and sandwich in some cream cheese frosting! You know it. Henry and I may or may not have polished these off for breakfast one morning… Henry may or may not have then demanded a spoonful of cream cheese frosting… and then several more spoonfuls…
Anyway. However you choose to consume these chocolate chai sandwich cookies. On your own, sharing with friends, alongside your favorite coffee, you’ll be happy you made them! Keep them in the fridge because they’re filled with cream cheese. The cookies are soft, so even after spending some time in the fridge they don’t get too hard. They’re still soft and easy to bite!
P.S. You totally do not have to serve these sandwiched with cream cheese frosting! If that’s not your jam
then you’re a bit of a weirdo you can leave these as tasty little spiced chocolate cookies!
Chai-spiced soft chocolate cookies sandwiched with cream cheese frosting.
For the Cookies:
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chai spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Filling:
- 1 block (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a bowl using an electric mixer, or in a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, chai spice, and salt.
- With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture into the butter mixture, and continue to mix until the dough forms a ball. The dough will be very soft.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Roll one portion between 2 sheets of parchment paper to 1/4 inch thick. Place the rolled dough in the fridge for 10 minutes to help it firm up.
- Use cookie cutters to cut the dough into squares, rounds, stars, or any shape you prefer. Transfer to a silpat- or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until puffed and set, about 10-12 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- To make the filling, cream together the cream cheese, butter, sugar, and vanilla util smooth. Spread cream cheese frosting between two cookies and enjoy!
Sign up to get the latest theme menus, cocktails, and recipes.