You are so lucky be visiting me today, because I have a gigantic batch of perfectly soft(ish) sugar cookies for you! You’re welcome. You know how traditional sugar cookies, like the ones we decorate at Christmas, are hard and crunchy? Then at the other end of the spectrum we have those crazy soft, over flour-y, Lofthouse sugar cookies? Don’t get me wrong, those both have a place in my heart. Actually, if I’m being honest, the crunchy traditional kind don’t really. They’re fun to decorate, but they’re not very easy or fun to eat.
When we decided to make cookie decorating favor bags for Abby’s birthday party, I went on a quest to find a softer, but not too soft sugar cookie. Something that would hold it’s shape while baking, hold up further in a favor bag and the hands of a bouncing 9 year old on the car ride home, would be easy to decorate, but also easy and enjoyable to eat. Well, I found it! And I’m sharing it in the recipe card below! Again, you’re welcome.
- 226 grams (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 480 grams (4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 95 grams (3/4 cup) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375F degrees, and line baking sheets with silpat or parchment.
- 2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- 3. With the mixer running on low speed, add the flour, cornstarch, and salt to the bowl and continue to mix until the dough form into a ball, about 5 minutes.
- 4. Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick, and cut with desired cookie cutters.
- 5. Bake until the bottom and edges are just starting to turn very lightly golden brown, about 9-15 minutes depending on the size of your cookies.
- 6. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 4610Total Fat: 188gSaturated Fat: 115gCholesterol: 486mgSodium: 1074mgCarbohydrates: 671gSugar: 204gProtein: 54g
Sign up to get the latest theme menus, cocktails, and recipes.