Coffee Klatch: a social gathering for conversation while drinking coffee.
Let’s drink delicious coffee and gab about our lives! Our current topic is Gilmore Girls as we are re-watching the entire series leading up to the release of A Year in the Life on Netflix!
Season 1 Episode 15
Season 2 Episode 7
-Rory and Dean broke up! Sad! Luke’s reaction was the sweetest, though! And they’re already back together, yay!
-Emily has a heart! She just wants her daughter and granddaughter in her life. Emily is showing more and more of a softer, loving side.
-I’m not a fan of Rachel! She is too much like Lorelai. Couldn’t the writers have given her some distinguishing attributes? I guess her character gives Luke’s character a good background story, but we already knew the story without having to meet her. I don’t want her to stick around. (and she didn’t! yay!)
-Emily visiting Stars Hollow with Rory. Hilarious! I love that the two people she gets along with best are Mrs. Kim and Michel. Perf.
-I want to live in a town that has meetings so that I can go with food and be entertained.
-Tristan… I dunno. He is pretty terrible in the way he is pursuing Rory. She handles him well, though, so that is redeeming.
-1000 yellow daisies! Lorelai engaged to Max! Awww I love it. Of course I want Lorelai and Luke to get together, but Max is such a good guy and the way he fixes his proposal is so sweet. P.S. Sookie’s reaction to the news?! Best bestie ever. I cried so much during that scene and thought of my own bestie and the way she cheers me on in life.
-Aww Luke. He gives everyone free coffee when he hears Lorelai’s engagement is off.
-Lorelai and Rory visit Harvard! So cute and exciting!
-Jess! Uh ohhh bad kid in town! Currently I’m team Dean, but we’ll see. It is cool that Jess is smart and well read like Rory. A nice thing to have in common. But ugh, he is such a bad attitude teenager! Get over yourself, Jess!
-When Luke pushes Jess into the lake?! Hilarious! I think that is a punishment most teenagers actually need once in a while.
Our recipe for today is inspired by the entire series as it is a frequently ordered meal, but specifically I like how Rory and Lorelai go to Luke’s for cheeseburgers and french fries after the Debutante Ball (where they probably ate a fancy meal). I went with a smashed cheeseburger as the thin and crispy patty is my favorite, but I would venture to guess that a Luke’s cheeseburger is a more classic diner style with a thicker patty. Definitely serve this with fries, bacon drippin parmesan fries if you please, and you guessed it: a big cup of coffee.
I got the smashing part of this recipe from Smitten Kitchen, who got it from Epicurious. If you’re already making the bacon to go with your fries, you might as well put some on your cheeseburger as well. Enjoy!
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- desired burger toppings (lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, bacon, etc)
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- potato sesame seed hamburger buns
- Divide the ground beef into 4 equal portions and shape into disks. Refrigerate the beef while you're prepping the rest of the ingredients, and while the pan is heating.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add a touch of oil to lightly coat the pan.
- Place one beef patty at a time on the hot skillet and immediately smash it down with a spatula and meat mallet to flatten as much as you can. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Cook the patties until charred on the outside and still pink in the centers, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Place the cheese slices on the patties after you've finished cooking the first side.
- Toast the hamburger buns in the skillet you used to cook the burgers, if desired, and serve with your favorite hamburger toppings.
- Note: This will make 4 thin hamburgers, or 2 double hamburgers.
Sign up to get the latest theme menus, cocktails, and recipes.