My grandmother was from Oklahoma, and like any good southern girl she knew all about frying things in bacon drippins. She used to cut up apples and fry them in bacon drippins. So good!
I have taken to baking bacon instead of frying it because I can cook more at a time with less mess and less hands on time. I usually line the sheet tray with foil to catch most of the bacon grease and make clean up easier. When I had the urge to make french fries the other day, I thought about how delicious they would be if cooked in bacon grease. Right?! Right.
Cook your bacon in the oven, set it aside, bake your fries in the collected drippins, then sprinkle the hot fries with freshly grated parmesan cheese. You’re welcome. Crumble up the cooked bacon to top the fries if you want.
I may or may not have made two sheet trays worth of fries while I was home all alone… and then didn’t save any for the rest of the family. Can you blame me? I didn’t think so.
Make yourself some bacon drippin parmesan fries and be happy! What is your fry dip of choice? Ketchup, ranch, mayonnaise, other… I wanna know!
- 885g russet potatoes
- 1 pound bacon
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 40g (1/2 cup) parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Wash the potatoes well and cut them into 1/4 inch thick matchsticks. Place them in a bowl and cover with cool water while you cook the bacon.
- Place the bacon in a single layer on a metal cooling rack, and place the rack in a rimmed sheet tray. Bake the bacon until crispy, about 15-20 minutes. Remove the bacon to a plate and remove the cooling rack.
- Drain, rinse, and pat dry the potato matchsticks. Pour the accumulated bacon grease into the bowl of dry potatoes, sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper, and toss to coat well.
- Place the potatoes in a single layer on the same sheet tray you used to cook the bacon, and bake until golden brown, flipping once halfway through, about 35-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the hot fries with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 515Total Fat: 41gCarbohydrates: 1gProtein: 41g
Sign up to get the latest theme menus, cocktails, and recipes.