Whole 30 Day 8
Monday, July 28th
I woke up this morning with a hankering for roasted brussels sprouts so that’s what I ate first thing in the morning! Along with scrambled eggs, of course. It seems to be my favorite breakfast on the Whole 30. I didn’t have any prosciutto left, so after I cried a few tears, I just used more extra virgin olive oil than normal, and they were still super delicious. My breakfast was completely satisfying. I think I’m getting used to this eating style. I felt pretty good today. I didn’t have any grumpy bouts or cravings. I did take a two hour nap in the middle of the day, though. I’m not sure why I was so tired. Hopefully it was a fluke.
David and I took his cousin, Matthew, out to a farewell dinner tonight so I had a late lunch of this salad pictured here. I’m calling it a Super Greens Salad because it has kale, spinach, and brussels sprouts in it, along with a few other super foods. It is a copy of the salad I had at a restaurant on the second day of my Whole 30, but this time I made my own Strawberry Balsamic Dressing to go with it. I quickly threw it together while running out the door and ate it in the car so I didn’t have time to eat any protein alongside. I made up for that at dinner, though. We went to a Mediterranean restaurant that we just happened to pass on the way to the airport and as it turns out we stumbled upon a nice little gem of a restaurant. I had chicken shawarma which came with grilled vegetables, a green salad, and rice. I successfully avoided the rice and I didn’t even look at the pita bread that was brought to the table. I’ve never had shawarma before, so I was skeptical about the sauce it was served with, but once I learned that it was tahihi sauce with no illegal foods in it, I went to town dipping my chicken in the flavorful sauce! I’ll have to recreate that meal at home.
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, roasted brussels sprouts, strawberries.
Lunch: Super Greens Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing.
Dinner: Chicken shawarma, tahini sauce, grilled vegetables, green salad.
This Super Greens Salad has lots of flavors and textures. The Strawberry Balsamic Dressing yields far more than you’ll need for the salad, but it is so yummy I think I’ll be using it for several applications. You can buy toasted pepitas, but if you happen to have raw on hand, you can toss them with a little oil and salt, and roast them in a 450F oven for about 15 minutes, stirring once.
- 2 ounces fresh kale
- 2 ounces fresh spinach
- 8 ounces brussels sprouts, roasted
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) fresh blueberries
- 5 ounces (about 25) red grapes
- 1 ounce (1/4 cup) dried cherries
- 1 ounce (1/4 cup) toasted pepitas
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Finely chop the kale and spinach, slice the grapes in half, and roughly chop any larger dried cherries.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl except for the strawberries, vinegar, oil, and salt. Toss to combine.
- Remove the stems from the strawberries and place in a blender with the vinegar, olive oil, and salt. Blend until smooth and serve with the salad.