Summertime is party time! Backyard barbeques, birthday parties, wedding showers, graduations. You name it, you’ve probably already gotten an invitation for it, right? Well, I am here to help with your party planning needs! This easy green party salad is so named because it is first and foremost EASY. Secondly, it is great for a party (because it is easy to make) and it is relatively inexpensive to make a large bowl of salad to feed an entire party full of people. There are only two things in this salad that really need to be prepared: the lettuce and the apples. Chop, chop, toss and bing bang boom you’re finished and off to your next party.
I take this easy green party salad to just about every potluck I attend. It is way fancier than those bagged salad mixes, and I bet it costs about the same. I like to use romaine lettuce because it is crunchy and hearty; it stands up to salad dressing well. You could definitely make your life even easier and buy already chopped lettuce, or pick up a spring mix. Whatever lettuce you choose, I recommend rinsing and then drying it well. If you’re going to prepare the lettuce the night before, then you especially need to dry it well. The best way to dry lettuce is in a salad spinner. If you plan on using lettuce often I would suggest buying one, plus, they’re fun to use! The second best way is to shake off as much water as possible and then gently pat dry with a towel. Either way, store your prepared lettuce between paper towels in the fridge and it will last several days.
If you really need to do all the prep the night before you can even wash and chop the green apples. Store them in water in the fridge until ready to use. Chop the lettuce and apples the day before, store in the fridge, then on party day all you need to do is toss it all together in a pretty salad bowl and it is ready to serve. I like to set out a few different dressings for everyone to choose their own. Ranch dressing is always a favorite, with Italian close behind. I also try to find something fruity like strawberry poppyseed, or pomegranate raspberry. Last but certainly not least, I make my own salad dressing to add even more of a homemade touch. Honey Orange Vinaigrette is quite possibly my favorite salad dressing. I love it on this easy green party salad, and just about every lunch salad I throw together at home.
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 2 small granny smith apples
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) dried cranberries or cherries
- 4 ounces (1 cup) crumbled feta, blue, or goat cheese
- 6 ounces (1/2 cup) honey
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) apple cider vinegar
- 6 ounces (1/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 10 grams (1 teaspoon) kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chop the romaine lettuce into bite sized pieces and dry well (use a salad spinner if you have one).
- Chop the apples into a small dice, leaving the skin on.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, chopped apples, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, and crumbled feta cheese. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, or a mason jar, combine the honey, vinegar, oil, orange juice, salt and pepper. Whisk or shake the jar to combine well. Serve alongside the salad.
Sign up to get the latest theme menus, cocktails, and recipes.