My friend had a birthday and requested Greek food. I was so excited because this was the perfect time to set up a Gyros Bar. Something I’d been wanting to try for a while, complete with more types of hummus than you would know what to do with. Gyros literally translates to “turn” so all you need to have a gyros is meat that has been slow roasted on a spit. A spit being a long sturdy rod on which the meat is skewered. In English, when a word ends in “s” it generally means that word is plural. Gyros is actually not plural, but we often remove the “s” to make it more understandable in English. So you can call this sandwich a Gyro if you’re more comfortable with that. Although, I have ordered a “gyro” before and been corrected as ordering “1 gyros”. Thus concludes your grammar lesson for the day.
Gyros usually means a sandwich when ordering it in a restaurant, not just the meat. A typical gyros is lamb or beef (often half and half, which is the way I like it), lettuce, red onions, tomatoes, tzatziki sauce and feta wrapped in a warmed pita. To make a gyros bar you’ll need all the basic ingredients, plus some more items to make a more impressive spread. You can make your own gyros meat, too!
(Google Translate tells me this says “enjoy” in Greek!)
- Warmed Pita Bread, I like to leave some whole and cut some in quarters to provide options
- Beef and Lamb, slow roasted on a spit and shaved into small pieces
- Red Onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- Cucumbers, thinly sliced or cubed
- Tomatoes, sliced or cubed
- Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- Lemon Wedges (I like to squeeze lemon juice on my gyros)
- Feta Cheese, crumbled
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Traditional Hummus
- Spicy Black Bean Hummus
- Avocado Cilantro Hummus
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Sun-Dried Tomato Spread
- Baba Ghanoush
- Kalamata Olives, pitted and chopped
- Marinated Mozzarella
- Pita Chips
- Baklava, for dessert, of course
- Arrange your ingredients in separate bowls and platters and allow guests to create their own signature gyros wrap.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3679Total Fat: 208gCarbohydrates: 225gProtein: 238g
Sign up to get the latest theme menus, cocktails, and recipes.