When I was working in the restaurant at school we had a flatbread appetizer that changed weekly. One week it was flatbread with maple-roasted squash, goat cheese and micro basil. It was so yummy! I took that flavor combination and blended it all together into a creamy and comforting soup.
When my uncle asked me to help him cook for a post-Thanksgiving dinner party I just knew I needed to serve this maple roasted butternut squash soup as one of the courses. It was a fun dish to create because it doesn’t have very many ingredients and my uncle and I spent about half an hour tasting the soup then adding a little more of this or that until it was perfect. I encourage you to do the same at home. Taste the soup throughout cooking. Add more maple syrup if it isn’t sweet enough, more heavy cream if it doesn’t feel smooth and creamy enough, more salt and pepper if it just sort of lacks flavor, or more lemon juice if you can’t quite put your finger on what it needs.
Butternut squash is on the sweeter side of the savory squash family. The addition of maple syrup, heavy cream, and goat cheese make this a sweet, savory, tangy and satisfying soup for the chilly autumn and winter months.
Autumn Dinner Party Menu
Maple Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Goat Cheese
Leg of Lamb with Tarragon Sauce
Patty Pan Squash
Black Truffle Risotto
- 1 Small Butternut Squash
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 4 Ounces Goat Cheese
- 1 Cup Stock
- juice from 1 Lemon
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise, remove the seeds, and place cut-side up on a sheet tray.
- Brush half the maple syrup all over the flesh of the squash, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake until fork-tender, about 45 minutes to one hour.
- Use a spoon to scoop the flesh out of the squash and place into a blender or food processor.
- Add the remaining maple syrup, and half of each: heavy cream, goat cheese, stock, and lemon juice.
- Blend until smooth, taste, and add more of each ingredient as needed.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 67Total Fat: 1gCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 7g