Our Family Dinner Book Club selection for the month of April is Boxes for Katje by Candace Flemming. Here you’ll find a menu that can be prepared with the help of your children, and will hopefully be a fun and interactive activity for the whole family. Head over to Growing Book by Book for some talking points to get the conversation started as well as an idea for a family service project. Then visit Sunny Day Family for a fun craft. We invite you to share a picture from your dinner with us anytime during the month on our Family Dinner Book Club Facebook page.
Boxes for Katje is a sweet book, based on a true story, of two little girls who become pen pals following World War 2. Katje lives in Olst, Holland and begins to receive packages from her pen pal in the United States. One of the things Katje mentions missing the most is chocolate – so make sure you enjoy some chocolate with your dinner for Katje.
Our menu today is a Pannenkoekn Buffet. Pannenkoeken is the Dutch word for Pancakes, and it is common in Holland to eat pancakes for any meal or snack of the day, and they can be sweet or savory. So whip up a batch of thin pannenkoeken, set out your fillings, and have fun making your own dinner creations!
Boxes for Katje
Family Dinner Book Club Menu
Pannenkoeken (Dutch pancakes – recipe below)
- 500 milliliters (about 2 cups) whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- pinch of salt
- 250 grams (about 1 1/2 cups) all purpose flour
- butter for frying
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and salt.
- Gradually whisk in the flour to form a smooth batter, making sure there are no lumps. The batter will be very thin.
- Heat a cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Melt a knob of butter in the pan.
- Add about 1/3 cup of batter to the pan. Tilt the pan to evenly distribute the batter, and cook until the pancake is bubbling on the top, and the bottom is golden brown.
- Flip the pancake over and continue to cook until it is golden brown on the other side.
- Slide the pancake onto a plate and repeat the process adding more butter and pancake batter to the pan.
- Serve warm with your desired accompaniments.