Oh dear, hot and comforting vegan tomato soup in the beginning of September… while it is in the upper 80sF here in Southern California. If you live in a place that is currently experience fall-like weather, will you please send some my way? I know, I know, it is still summer until September 23rd, but summer vacation is over. School is back in session and my mind is beginning to plan Halloween costumes and holiday meals. I want autumnal weather so badly. I made this soup the other day and ate it for lunch while it was over 90F outside. We had a very cool spring this year, and didn’t get the real hot summer weather until later in the year so I am trying to count my blessings and appreciate all the cool weather we have had this year. But… I want my fall weather and I want it now!
So maybe if I keep making typically cool-weather meals around here I’ll convince the season to get into my mindset and change on over to fall early. A girl can dream.
Warm and comforting tomato soup is such a classic dish. I tried to really bring out the flavors of all the other vegetables involved, and you really can taste them in this soup because I’ve used about half the amount of tomatoes called for in typical recipes. The vegetable broth you use will definitely make a difference, too, so choose one that is flavorful and amazing. I have been using Better Than Bouillon recently and the vegetable one has this earthy flavor that almost takes over in this dish. I found myself pausing after every few bites to examine the flavors I was experiencing. Tomato paste adds a deeper tomato flavor while the balsamic vinegar gives it that extra little something. Throw in whatever vegetables and herbs you have on hand and let me know in the comments what your favorite vegan tomato soup pairings are!
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 large carrots
- 1 celery stalk
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 8 ounces vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel and roughly chop the vegetables.
- Heat the 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and saute until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Stir in the tomatoes and vegetable stock, bring the mixture up to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer, cover, and cook until the vegetables are very soft, 20-30 minutes.
- Working in batches, carefully transfer the contents of the pot to a blender and pulse until very smooth.
- Add the pureed soup back to the pot, stir in the balsamic vinegar, add salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm on the stove until ready to serve.