Share this recipe!Pin on PinterestShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInDigg thisShare on TumblrShare on Reddit

Daisy at Home has been on hiatus since January 2010 even though it was a baby blog to begin with. My husband, Jonathan Glyer, was tragically killed in an accident at work in the end of January. This has completely changed my life.

I used to cook dinner for us almost every night. I stopped cooking and started eating fast food for most meals. As a result, I have gained 25 pounds! I left our home in Seattle, Washington and moved back to my hometown in Orange County, California to be closer to my family. I stopped working and going to school and spent most of my days sleeping or watching TV. Jon loved my cooking; he really was my biggest fan and best supporter. Not having him to cook for just took all the joy and meaning out of it.

Jon was the one to name my blog and the one that encouraged me to start it in the first place. We met when we were twelve and started dating at seventeen. I got him for ten years and was honored to be his wife for three and a half. That is not nearly enough time, but I will always cherish the time I did get with him, and he will live on forever in my memory and even in certain behaviors I picked up from him.

My family started having family dinner on Sunday nights at my mom’s house, so I started cooking again, with several disasters in the first few months. It was as if I had forgotten how to operate an oven or stove or mix ingredients. My first few attempts at cooking were recipes that I know like the back of my hand and I even messed up those ones. I started slowly, cooking only on Sundays and with the help of my family. I am now cooking for myself several times a week and exercising occasionally. I am still getting used to cooking for just one person, but cooking on Sunday nights helps balance out that strange feeling.

I will be starting culinary school in January, 2011 and have moved into my own apartment. I had fun starting Daisy at Home and have decided that it is definitely worth continuing. I went on a solo trip to Italy this past October and spent two of my three weeks there on culinary tours. I was getting back into my cooking groove before Italy, but immersing myself in the Italian way of life really helped reignite my passion for food and cooking. So be prepared for several “Daisy In Italia” posts to come!

I have survived the last ten months with the loving support of my family and closest friends. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all for loving me, loving and honoring Jon, and encouraging or picking me up when I’ve needed it.

To new kitchen adventures: Cheers.

0 comment on I Am Ready

1. Emily Fontes
    November 30, 2010 at 2:42 pm (6 years ago)

You don’t know how happy I am to see this post. I’m literally crying tears of joy. Culinary school is such a perfect fit for you!

2. Katrina Tysinger
    November 30, 2010 at 4:46 pm (6 years ago)

I’m so proud of you Sarah. You truly are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing.

3. Paula Campbell (Madre)
    November 30, 2010 at 5:13 pm (6 years ago)

Wow! You are amazing and I am so proud of you! I know Jon would be too!

4. Michael Anglado
    November 30, 2010 at 7:10 pm (6 years ago)

So good to see you back…love you.
    Pop

5. Megan
    November 30, 2010 at 7:36 pm (6 years ago)

:’-)

6. Gigi Roso
    November 30, 2010 at 7:42 pm (6 years ago)

I am so happy you are picking up again! I do have quite a few Italian dishes that I learned from Mark’s mom, I would to share them with you!!I love you!

7. Aaron Cole
    November 30, 2010 at 8:46 pm (6 years ago)

Love it. Love it. Love it. Blessings and love dear friend! We miss you; I’m very happy for this direction….

8. bj Pergola
    December 1, 2010 at 1:54 pm (6 years ago)

So Happy to read your post!

So weird….
    I had a dream LAST Night about sitting around a large table, laughing and talking and SMILING with your Mom…..it was so real I wanted to call your Mom when I woke up, it was so stinkin’ real!

Then I read this!! Be Well dear one and tell your Mom “HI” from me! :o)

Look forward to reading about your Culinary School adventures!
    You are L O V E D.

HUGS!
    bj

9. Sim
    December 6, 2010 at 3:33 pm (6 years ago)

I am so happy for you!!!! So glad you had a wonderful time in Italy, the pics are amazing! Let’s get together of a really good meal and talk. I miss talking to you (remember our days in the ATM room). Take care and I am really happy for you.

10. Raynoch
    October 8, 2011 at 7:37 pm (6 years ago)

I’m impressed by your writing. Are you a professional or just very konwledgebale?

11. M.C.W.
    January 26, 2012 at 10:33 pm (5 years ago)

I came across your website through a tweet you shared with Jennifer Perillo. There are no words I have for the loss you both have endured, other than I am so sorry. My heart aches for you both and for everyone who endures such tragedy in their life.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on I Am Ready