As I have said before, my mom was my first cooking teacher. She cooked every night for our large family, which meant many nights of meals that were quick, easy and could feed an army. One such dish is her “Lazy Day Lasagna”.
- Mama's Lasagna
- 9 Lasagna Noodles
- 15 oz Marinara Sauce
- 1 pound Spicy Italian Sausage
- 16 oz Cottage Cheese
- 15 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Place sausage in a large skillet with about three tablespoons of water. Cook over medium-high heat, turning often, until cooked through, about 12 minutes. Chop into bite sized pieces.
- Mix cottage and ricotta cheeses together in a small bowl.
- In greased 13x9 inch baking pan, make layers in the following order:
- Three noodles, half the cottage/ricotta cheese mixture, one-third of the grated cheeses, half of the italian sausage, one-third of the spaghetti sauce. Repeat.
- Top with three lasagna noodles, remaining sauce and grated cheeses.
- Bake, covered with foil, at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover, bake for an additional 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
She made it often and I loved it! I now make this dish for my family on a regular basis. As with most of Mom’s recipes, I have altered the ingredients to suit my more picky palate. For example, I use a mixture of cottage and ricotta cheeses in my lasagna, Mom uses cottage and mozzarella. Enjoy.